Monday, June 22, 2015

The list to end all lists

I learned about planning from my Mom. And perhaps ooooover planning. We like to meet our own needs at all times thank you very much. Trying to plan for two years in a conservative (covered shoulders, below the knee) tropical archipelago when you've never substantially left the country before is about impossible. I've read a lot of a lot of packing lists over the past couple months. My contribution to the genre I humbly present, below.


A small herd of goats
A small man to lead them 
Duct tape
Tic Tacs
2 Terabytes of storage space/photos/music/movies
Kindle
Asus notebook
Shortwave radio
Ipod
Iphone
Ipod speaker
Clock/another ipod speaker
Salad Tupperware with collapsible fork/knife and a built in cooling pack
Battery charger
Rechargeable batteries
Surge protector
Power strip
Extension cord
Clothespins
Safety pins
Bose sound cancelling headphones (Biz Markie take me away)
Pasalubong (gifts for my host families): Dum dums, Uno, Playing Cards, Chocolate
Eye drops
Bottle brush
Sewing kit
Head lamp
A big, nice, orange dry box
Kelvin toolkit
Scrubba washa bag (with an inflatable hanger, pfft)
Mac light
Knee bands
Ankle supports
Jump rope
Workout gloves
Yoga mat
"Your Body is Your Barbell"
"Great One Liners" (I looked up my family tree and found out I'm the sap wa wa wa)
A small purse with a large strap
Bicycle bag
Wallet with neck strap and RFID thing
Dry bags (tiny, small, large/extra rubbery)
Jerky
Instant coffee
Edamame 
3 quick dry towels
Hand fan
3 hole adapter
Kershaw knife
Swiss army knife
Nose plugs
Snorkel mask and mouth device (I have never snorkeled)
Plastic playing cards
Buckeye facts playing cards
Poncho
Umbrella
Cooling bead neck wraps
Handkerchiefs
Sweatbands
Water bottles (including a Klean Kanteen--fancy!)
Sun hat
Baseball cap
55L backpack
Pack duffel
Gingersnaps
Bicycle helmet, lights, lock
3 running shoes (I ain't going to be overpronating for two years)
Flip flops
Chacos
Tevas
Crocs
Goodwill good sandals
Ziploc gallon 2.5 gallon and pint size bags
Cleaning gloves
Ohio-themed outdoor thermometer
100 ft of rope
2 kitchen knives
2 forks
Knife sharpener
Can opener
100 pair ear plugs
Burt's Bees Miracle Salve
3 eye masks
Freezable/heatable back wrap
Eno hammock with bug net (so fancy!)
Overnight toiletry bag with all the tiny toiletries
Razors
Bobby pins
Calcium
Vitamin C
Melatonin
Sleepytime tea (so much sleepytime tea)
Tummymint tea
Sleeping pills
Dove, Neutrogena bars
8 deodorants
Foot pumice
Same old eye liner & mascarrra 
Rock On Matte Clay (it is the goods)
4 toothbrushes/toothpaste
Whitening strips
Floss
Bandaids
Activated charcoal
Azo pills (I'm sad these made someone's list. I don't WANT a UTI)
Foot brush
Shampoo/conditioner
Lotions
Diva Cup
Washable panty liners
Prep H
3 short running shorts
4 knee length exercise pants
Rain coat
3 belts (that aren't leather--it will mold)
3 scarf wraps
Bandelettes
Jog bras
2 flat sheets and pillowcases
4 linen pants
2 jeans
1 black pants
3 capris
Sweatshirt
20 pairs of socks
40 pairs of underpants
12 over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders
4 skirts
2 dresses
1 sarong
5 tank tops
9 cotton shirts
6 quick dry shirts (that's too many shirts but I must have them)
Rash guard shirt
Tiny tiny shorts
Bikini
Two piece that covers more
2 board shorts 
Pillow (from my Grandparent's house! Sigh)
Mini set of watercolors
Oil paints
Brushes
Pastels
2 boxes of tiny point sharpies
Pens, pencils, pencil sharpeners
Pastel paper/wc paper/oil paper/palette paper
Cutting mat & implements
Journals
Pictures of my people
Particularly amazing drawings from my nephew and niece
A map of the world and a map of the United States of America. I WILL point you out.
Balik bayan box (a huge box with no weight limit that ships by ship from Chuchay's Market in Reynoldsburg) for all the stuff that's a squirrel's winter nuts and too heavy to lug around for the first 3 months.


That's quite enough.


I thought about getting a solar charger for all the brownouts but I'm too cheap. And maybe I should try and deal with it, like everybody else.


If you see something I missed feel free to immediately buy and pay a pirate's ransom to get to the address in the post previous to this. Or wag your finger at me in a postcard that costs $1.20? Yikes.

If you contributed goods or services to make my mountain of amenities possible I bend at the waist in a bow of thanks. If there's any justice there's a new star in your crown. 



No comments:

Post a Comment